The SAReads Summer Book Drive officially kicks-off June 6th and will run through August 19th. All book donations into the SAReads Book Bank benefit schools, teachers and other non-profit organizations serving children.
Although the SAReads Book Bank operates year-round, the summer months are when the need for K-5 and teen books is the greatest. Children who are given access to books during the summer perform 35-40% better on reading achievement tests than those without significant access to books (Allington, Mcgil-Franzen, Canilti, William, Graff, Zeig, Zmack & Nowak, 2010).
- Infant & Toddler board books
- Children’s story books and easy readers
- Teen & Middle School books
Books not accepted:
- Adult Books
- Textbooks (any age range and subject)
- Reference, encyclopedia, dictionaries and thesauruses
- Magazines and workbooks
Book Barrel Locations
Donate your gently used children's and teen books at the following locations from June 1st to August 19th:
- San Antonio Public Library Branches
- Firstmark Credit Union Branches
- The Twig Book Shop
- YMCA of Greater San Antonio
Want to host an SAReads book collection barrel:
Businesses that are interested in hosting an SAReads Summer Book Drive barrel can contact SAReads Book Bank Coordinator Kyra Whitaker-Sheppard.