Reading Instruction Tutors
Research shows 60% of children need to be taught how to read. The SAReads Tutor Corps teaches and mentors kindergarten through 3rd grade students. The reading instruction program will be expanded to tutor to 4th and 5th grade students.
Tutors apply the five components of reading instruction to help students improve proficiency. They prepare custom lesson plans for each child based on reading assessment data. SAReads staff provide coaching and support to tutors so they implement effective techniques to teach and inspire students. SAReads staff train and monitor tutors to ensure each child receives the benefit of the scientific method of reading instruction.
How It Works
- Teachers nominate Kindergarteners and 1st Graders who are at risk of not achieving their reading benchmarks.
- Children work with a trained tutor once each week for 30 minutes using a customized lesson plan and research-based curriculum.
- Children may participate in SAReads until they leave 3rd grade. (SAReads plans to extend tutoring to the end of 5th grade.)
SAReads provides professional teaching materials and books for tutors to use during reading instruction sessions. Each tutoring session is divided between developing literacy skills using the Florida Center for Reading Research (FCRR) curriculum and reading aloud using the Scholastic Guided Reading Program. Tutors instruct the children to read based on the five components of reading instruction or the “scientific method of teaching reading.”
SAReads Tutor Corps
Undergraduates from Texas A&M University –San Antonio’s College of Education and Human Development learn evidence-based literacy instruction techniques and apply those techniques in a tutoring session with SAReads students. Tutors participate in SAReads as part of their college course, and 15% of their grade comes from participation in SAReads. Tutors are trained and monitored to ensure that each young learner receives the benefit of science-based instruction.
Since 2012, more than 1000 future teachers have gained reading instruction experience through SAReads.
- 82% of tutors feel they gained experience with reading instruction after participating in SAReads.
- 93.5% of tutors would recommend other aspiring teachers participate in SAReads as a tutor.
- 95% of tutors believe they will make a positive impact on their students’ lives.
A Book for Every Child
Children enrolled in SAReads Reading Instruction receive new books for their home library at the beginning of the year, before winter break, and again before summer break. SAReads also provides books to younger siblings so they can begin their reading journey prior to entering kindergarten.
Download SAReads Impact Reports to view student reading progress for each academic year.